I am not sure who could claim being a creator of this pastry as very similar recipes are found in Russian, Belorussian and Ukrainian cuisine. Basically, vatrushka is a small, individual size open pie with sweetened fresh cheese. My biggest challenge would be to come up with a precise measurements for the dough, as I never use any recipe :)
1. 2 cups of warm water + 2 tbsp sugar + 4 tbsp flour + 2 tbsp dry yeast - mix well and set aside for 15-20 minutes
2. Add 2 eggs, 1/2 cup sugar, pinch of salt, 4 tbsp oil (we used sunflower) and flour - about 4 cups. Be careful with flour, better underuse, then overuse. You could always add more when forming pastries. Knead well, cover and set aside for 40-60 minutes
3. Knead again, leave for another 15 minutes
4. Divide ready dough into pieces, the size of a small apple.
5. Roll and place on to slightly greased cookie sheets. Leave for about 10 minutes
6. Press the middle of each piece to make room for filling. We used vodka shot glass :)
7. Place filling in the middle - ice-cream scoop works just fine for this job!
8. Filling: we used 500 gr cottage cheese, 2 egg yolks, 1 cup of presoaked raisins, 1 cup of sugar, 1 package vanilla sugar, pinch of salt - place all the ingredients but raising into a blender and mix well. It will look somewhat like cream cheese. Add raisins.
This is Cottage Cheese we use
Mixing raisins and creamed cheese
9. Apply egg wash (1 egg beat with 1 tsp sugar and 1/2 tsp salt)
10. Pre-heat oven to 210C. Bake for about 15 minutes.
11. Enjoy with a glass of cold milk!
Compliments of Marina Gavrylyuk Real Estate Agent with Sutton Group Summit Realty